5 Local Small Business SEO Tips
A few days ago, I was doing a webinar for Rowan/Cabarrus community college near Charlotte NC about local small business SEO and with small business week coming up I thought it would be a great chance to help small businesses with their SEO (Search Engine Optimization). I put together a few FREE SEO tips that will help get your website moving up on search engines.
1) Go to google and type in your industry, I will use “concord NC accountant” as an example since this is still fresh in my mind. 884,000 results (0.74 seconds) showed up and this is right in the wheelhouse of what we’re looking for when you’re building your foundation for local small business SEO. When you typed in your industry and town how many results showed up? If under 2 million results these tips will help you dramatically if over 2 million these tips will help but you may need to explore some other options as well. Remember every great building needs a strong foundation just like every great website.
2) Do you know who your ideal client is? Get inside their minds and think of what they’d type into the search engine or speak into it if they were looking for a business like yours. This is your keywords. Ask friends and family as well as current clients to help you if you’re drawing a blank. Now that you have your list you can go to Googles Keyword Planner and this will help you pick the best phrases and keywords to build your foundation on. Remember step 1 when you’re doing this type into google some of these new phrases and see the results. What you’re looking for is the most searches on the AdWords phrases with the least results when you type it into google.
Simple so far right!
3) Sprinkling these keywords onto your webpage. First, you want it for your page title. Now depending on what platform you are using they could be located in different areas what we recommend if you’re really serious about building up your SEO you use a platform like WordPress over some of those other DIY website builders. The main reason is that there are so many different plugins that you can use such as Yoast to it makes your local SEO so much easier.
Still using our above example,
- Page title is – Concord-NC-accountant
- Page URL is going to be www.exampleaccountant.com/Concord-NC-accountant
- Keywords in your alt images this is important for 3 reasons,
- If the image doesn’t load your visitor still knows there should be an image there.
- If your visitor is seeing impaired their specialized browser will be able to tell them there was an image there about a Concord NC Accountant.
- Search Engines index these images and use them to know what your website is about.
You also want to use your keywords in your headline or H1 tags. You can do this by saying something like.
“Concord NC Accountant for all your business needs.”
On your pages you want to keep your content short and sweet around 300 – 750 words the main reason is you only have around 3 seconds to capture your visitors attention and if you have to much text they will bounce right off your website and that is a bad thing for SEO but you want enough to keep them intrigued and wanting to visit more of your site.
4) Things you probably didn’t think would have an effect on your SEO have huge effects. Two big ones that Google recently brought to our attention is making sure your website is secure with an SSL Certificate so when people come to your website they should see https instead of just HTTP. The 2nd one is what I mentioned earlier you only have around 3 seconds to capture your readers’ attention so if your website takes a long time to load your visitor is already getting impatient and Google knows this. Here is a great link to check your load times. Page Speed Test it also gives you tips on how to increase your speed. One that I shouldn’t have to mention but I will is making sure your website is designed with mobile in mind. This is an oldie but is very important.
5) Building the right links and content to get more links. If you looked up anything SEO related I am sure you came across a company named MOZ and they’re a great authority for SEO. They have a great tool called MOZ Local and this helps build your website’s foundation for local review websites and directories your small business should be on.
What I like most about MOZ is the White Board Fridays videos on YouTube. When you’re looking to take your SEO to the next level I recommend you watch them. The main reason I bring up White Board Fridays is it is a brilliant way to build quality content that people will share and help create links and build your brand. A video is King and if you can incorporate short videos about your business and brand that can educate or inform people that is a home run, touch down and goal wrapped all into one. Now adding the video to YouTube and your website with a good post transcribing the video with your keywords is going to be a great boost to your SEO.
Don’t add your website to random off the wall directories or websites that do not directly have a correlation to your location or industry. It is a waste of time and may penalize your website in the long run with search engines if those sites are spam.
When it comes to content probably the hardest thing to do is come up with it. Here is a great cheat of 102 starter headlines you can write about or create videos for. The best part is we don’t ask for an email address or anything else when we say it’s a free download it is absolutely free. 102 Great Ideas for Content
In my webinar, I mentioned it is not rocket science and is not as difficult as most SEO companies make it seem. The key is finding relevant keywords that people are searching for and having plenty of patients. It takes on average 3 to 6 months before you start seeing results. So be patient, create quality over quantity and most importantly have fun.